fish report from 5/10/2010

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

racing11111

Post by racing11111 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:38 am

hey luffys the walleyes will be deep in the main channel in front of raspberrys. they should also bein the narrows south towards the indian river.also would try fishing around all the shoals in the lake near dark .we usually drift when we fish walleyes because black lake usually has a good chop and south to north wind or vise versa.any where deep is your best bet.we usually drift on the bottom but in early may the perch we a pain we kept getting tor up by them in which keeps the walleye from hitting . we did get 1 nice one but didnt fish alot for them. we targeted mostly crappie. our bet luck was in june, the first week of bass we cought around 5 per day just drifting . if your a troller you might have better luck keeping the perch away. use rapalas and hot n tots near the shoals. good luck and let us here how you made out.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Mon May 24, 2010 2:07 pm

The walleye fishing should start picking up now that water temps are rising and the spawn is well behind us. Worm harnesses worked well along the edges of weedbeds and where rocky shoals transition to softer bottom anywhere from 6-12 feet.Use a 3/4 oz sinker and a short two foot snell to stay near the bottom. You need a powerful sonar unit to find the transition zones. Instead of live bait, use GULP nightcrawlers or leeches. The walleyes are there but so many perch just rip live bait apart and leave no target for the eyes. There still should be some hanging around the outlet of Fish Creek, near the Edwardsville bridge, and in the Indian River. These are spawning areas with some current that attract some eyes all season long. My group picked up seven keeper eyes opening weekend and a few smaller fish also. All went back except two 22" identical twins for dinner!
Although a different topic.....I thought I would pass along that spring Smallmouth fishing along Buffalo harbor in Lake Erie has been amazing. Anyone within a few hundred miles should try this out. The fishing for trophy 5-7lb Smallmouth has been terrific. Shallower structures in 12-25 feet have been hot.........drift Golden shiners or cast and slowly retrieve goby immitations with short hops and pauses. Saturday morning I caught my personal best 6.25 lb Bass!

FishingLuffys

eyes

Post by FishingLuffys » Tue May 25, 2010 5:51 am

thanks so much for the info , will be leaving to go to olean on friday to meet with my best friend and his family and sat. morning will be heading to the lake, im a big erie fisherman , so fishing black lake should be fun and a challange, so all info is great, as 4 erie , i will give u a real good tip on how we catch our big smallies , use your fish finder to find how deep the water is and what level the fish are in that depth , this can take a little while if the fish are scattered but they still mostly hang about the same depth in the water collume depending on their mood. , then get out the crank baits that dive to that level , my best ones are the bigger pearch and shad rapallas , AND TROLL 4 THEM , bout 120' back 1.8 .2.2 miles per hr. sometimes stop motor and start again , we do very well around erie and walnut like this , GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING , :D

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:45 pm

JR, how did your week go? Tell us all about it. Did you catch any on the canadian spoon? I had luck with the xr10 in the st lawrence but not yet in black lake.