Fishing report 5/21 - 5/28....little late sorry

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ErikS

Fishing report 5/21 - 5/28....little late sorry

Post by ErikS » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Crappie - Fished Church Shoals lots of small 7.5"- 8" males with a few keepers. The best spots were flipping docks in deeper water and rock clifs in about 10'-12' fow. We were using roadrunner 1/16 heads tiped with minnows or mr. twisters in pink or white seemed to work best. Caught may be 50 - 60 per day with half being keepers. Had little or no luck in the bays.

Pike - Wow did we kill em. The best spot for us was Upper Big Bay. I was tossing Chatter Baits (my go to lure) in red and white or green and white ripping it throught the weeds. Got a good drift from the north little island south to the tip of the bay. We got our limit of keepers in a few drifts. We kept the 20" - 24" tossed back the rest. We also fished from the point at Cedar Grove with Shiners under a bobber while smokin cigars and having a few beers at about 5pm till dark....this is were we got the size. We caught 3 or 4 20" - 33" this way. 5 or so were caught in Oarchard Bay on spinner baits in green and white just outside the bouy line. Carolina blades seemed to be better than willow blades...that could be because i like those best though.

Bass - We didnt target them but while Crappie & Pike fishing youre gonna get a lot of them this time of year. Seems to me we caught more Smallmouth than Large. All were a good size and looked healthy. I really wanted to try my hand at wacky rigging but that would be targeting I think. I'll give it a go in September...lol.

Walleye - My buddy got one nice 24"er in Oarchard Bay on a red and white jointed Rappala with a missing middle trebble hook. Seems we get one bonus eye in the bay every year. We really didnt target walleyes on this trip but its always fun to see one in the boat...or in my freezer. LOL.

Bowfin (Dog Fish) - Holy crap!!!! Those damn things were every where. Spawning maybe? We caught maybe 5 a night fishing for Pike. We even caught a few with 2 or 3 steel leaders in there mouths. We wieghed the biggest at 7LBS. A few met the buisness end of a knife to the gills. I hear that a few guys keep small baseball bats in the boat for those critters.

Well there you have it. I'd like to thank Dave Schaefer at Cedar Grove for a great stay as always and see you guys up there the end of September. Any ?'s just ask. I'm sure ill be lookin at web cams everyday til then.

Good Luck and tight lines!!!!!!!
Erik
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

Pochucker

Post by Pochucker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:25 am

Thank You very much for the report --very helpful. Will be making my first trip last week of June