black lake is not the bass fishery it used to be

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tori

Comorants

Post by Tori » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Central NY Girl,
I think you are referring to the comorant birds. They are an invaseive bird and are eating our fisheries to death. The 1,00 Islands has many of the birds, but I see them all the time on Black Lake. I wonder if they have something to do with the lack of sightings of loons...???
Tori

marti110

Post by marti110 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:39 pm

I have been out on the lake probably 20-25 times this year and don"t recall a day that we didn't see loons. I have noticed that they are more prevelant on the south end of the lake around the narrows and black bay but they are definitley there.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 pm

sounds like some of the rental cottages do have fish laws posted, that's good. For the reasons listed in all the previous posts I would still like to see them do more to promote C&R. I find it very interesting that not a single cottage rental company responded to any of these posts. I cant believe that not a single one follows this forum, they probably are but are to afraid to get involved. Very short sighted on their part!
Central NY Girl sorry to hear that the fishing was not that great for you and your family. The fish you saw jumping were probably Carp. Yes carp I saw tons of them this year many in the 20 lb range! They were jumping all over the place. I never saw them until about 7 years ago.
I was also wondering about the lack of loons this year. Sounds like Marti is seeing them so that's good. I haven't seen any this year, last year I saw quite a few. I thought it might be because of the increased boat traffic since they like quiet bodies of water. Tons of commorants though, which is another thing that is detrimental to the fishing.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am

Where we stayed has the rules clearly marked inside the cabin on a very large laminated sheet. My family has always done C & R. Even though we didn't catch many fish I still have such a relaxing time at BL. We will always go back Maybe because of so many family Memories over the years. I do feel bad I missed the Loons. We did go all the way to Rossie a couple of days and still did not see the loons in any of the bays. May have been just the timing. The birds I was seeing are commorants I looked them up and they are aggressive eaters and domenate hopefully they don't push the loons away from BL. I would perfer to think Pike or musky were jumping not carp. :lol: carp do put a fun fight when caught and they can get huge. we can't wait to get back up in the fall.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 am

Central ny girl glad to hear you and your family practice CnR. I would like to think the fish u saw jumping were muskie or pike too. However, I've never seen pike jump like that and there
are very few muskie in the lake. Unfortunately the lake is now loaded with carp, I've never seen this many anywhere. I saw hundreds of them cruising and jumping all over the place. Don't knock em they may be the next prize gamefish after the bass are all cleaned out of the lake. They are a prized gamefish in England! Start making your doughballs!

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Saw a loon in back bay on 2 consecutive days. Amazing, cause I grew up camping in the Old Forge area, but since it turned into the tourist town of today, we've been going to BL.

Now, on why it's amazing. Being on the boat growing up in the Fulton Chain, the closest you could get to a loon was about 500 yards. But the one my nephew and I saw was within 30 yards away.

I didn't spot it at first, but my nephew asked what kinda bird it was, and my jaw dropped. He asked if I was alright cause I was in a daze. I explained what type of bird it was, and to remember this day, cause he may never get another chance to see one that close in the wild.

Then on the next day, he said, "there's the loon again." No joke, it was about the same distance as the day before. This time, it leaned back and showed off it's white belly, and spread its wings. It just about brought a tear to my eye, when I glanced at my 8 yr old nephew and he set his pole down, and just sat there quietly watching in awe.

I've never seen anything like it before. God I love nature!!!! And it needs to be preserved so future generations can enjoy our wonderful country!

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:14 pm

WalleyeHunter that is really cool you were able to spot the loons. I'm really sad I missed them especially being in the area. I have some really cool pictures of the loons on Bl from previous years.
It is something some many people on this forum have things in common that they have no idea of.
My family use to go to Old Forge area for a second vacation like you said way to busy and touristy now.
I have spent so much time reading this forum I finally had to join in.

on another note has anyone seen the discovery channel on the garfish?
pretty interesting. now on the internet they have found alligator Gar.
Not quite like the Garpike at BL Maybe they will be the next game fish :lol:

northendgrl

Post by northendgrl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 am

Tori I also have a camp by the Davies monument on the north end and I saw my first loons late this spring in the early morning. I was in awe. There were 4 of them, a mom and 3 babies. Of course, I didn't have my camera :( I stood there and watched them for about 20 minutes. Beautiful. So they are there, but elusive.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 am

Northern Girl glad to hear you got to see a mother loon and babies, they certainly are awesome birds! In an effort to keep track of these and other awesome birds ,and to keep this topic on subject, I created a new post called bird sightings on Black Lake. I just want to make sure we stay focused on sharing ideas on how to improve the Bass fishing on the lake.

Thanks!

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:59 am

I agree bassbuster, my apologies for going off topic a few posts back.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am

I agree the Fishing has changed over the years. The bass are getting harder and harder to catch..I guess that is what makes the thrill when you finally start catching them.. we did not keep any fish this year not even for one dinner. everyone was to lazy to clean them :lol: actually they weren't big enough :cry:

We also seen a tremendous amount to carp rolling. My sons have friends that bowhunt for carp in this that is fun to watch.

We seen a few very large gar also at night at the dock when you shine a flashlight in the water my grandson couldnt believe how big they were maybe 3 feet long. but he didn't want to try to catch them?

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks walleye hunter!

Pochucker

Post by Pochucker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Unfortunately the two things that we all agree are contributing to decline arent likely to change soon.

1 tournament mortality (this is a killer because its very mandate the biggest our being killed) havent seen anyone come on here and say "yea we will limit/reduce tournaments"

2 Meat fisherman --again no one is on here saying "yea ill stop keeping bass" -only way we can change that is by educating those that we know

It must be very frustrating for long term BL fisherman to see the decline.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

The tournament part of the problem will be hard one to fix. NY state does not require a permit for tournaments so clubs and other organizations can hold tournaments whenever they want. I heard that some clubs are having weigh and release and maybe just bring in lunker or something like that. Hopefully this is a trend that picks up in popularity.
The meat part of the problem is one we all do have some control over. This is a battle for hearts and minds a battle I believe we can win! I'm curious about something we have had close to 2000 views of this post in the last few weeks.. After reading all the stories and feedback people have shared, have we changed anyone's mind about keeping bass? If we have we sure would love to hear from you. If we haven't oh well we will just have to keep trying.

Thanks for listening!

Sent from blackberry, my excuse for poor spelling and grammer!

Pochucker

Post by Pochucker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Bassmaster thats the problem --not one person came on and said they were enlightened nor did they defend there actions.

Reminds me of another NY forum I belong to . Has gotten to point where most never report bodies of water they are fishing and even take care in the photos they post to make sure prominent landmarks arent shown.

Obviously there is more pressure downstate but still.

We need education of the young and wait for the "old school" to die off. (im old but figured out at young age not to keep fish)