black lake is not the bass fishery it used to be

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:17 pm

bass don't even fry up well. you can grill em with some strong marinade but panfish are much more plentiful, versital and tasty..i don't get keeping all the bass...just don't get it.

i think we are actually considering not going back to BL for the first time is almost 10 years. I am one of the guys that comes up for a week to a cabin rental, and maybe one more time in the fall or ice fishing. We keep panfish and an occasional walleye we might catch.

The 15 of us that make our summer pilgrimige opening week are most likely going to try the St Lawrence next year for a number of reasons - but mostly because the BL bass fishing isn't what it used to be and the awesome day or two a week we used to get has been replaced with all "ok" days.

Second reason is the potential for Muskie's

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:20 pm

ss minnow - we fished the rideau chain once back in 98-99 and a few other lakes in Perth and Smith Falls - ice fished them the year of that terrible ice storm. The 2 lakes in Perth were ok but the rideau was terrible from what I recall. We caught some small perch only..

Believer

Post by Believer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:46 am

The answer to this is probably that there is too much pressure on the lake. Too much killing. The answer is to increase the size limit; and decrease the daily creel limit, and possession limit; and close the season so the bigmouths aren't hit under the ice.

Steve Milarmby

Don't believe it

Post by Steve Milarmby » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Has to be a cycle or weather related. Personally never saw so much pressure as I did opening day, I'll never do opening day again. But you can't tell me ther aren't a lot of quality bass in this lake. Been here eleven years, every year is a surprise. If fishing goes south so will the pressure, don't interfere with the natural process, remember most of our problems with fishing and hunting usually occur when outside help intervenes. I have found the 15" limit one of the good decisions to have come from them and I hope it continues

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:50 pm

The fact is bass fishing has risen in popularity tremendously since the 80's. Black Lake is not the only lake that has seen changes because of it. And some fisheries have actually gotten better instead of worse.

It's easy to point fingers at fishing pressure, size limits, tournaments, etc. They all play a part. But overall, Black Lake is still an incredible bass fishery. The guides I work with out of Big Toho Marina in Florida would be blown away by this lake. I tell them about this lake all the time. Yeah they would say the fish are small, but the number of bites and how easily they come is second to nowhere. I see people rent boats from Toho Marina because it's a world famous bass lake, and go out all day and not even get a bite. You guys that have fished in the south know what I'm talking about.

I agree there doesn't appear to be as many big fish as in the 80's. But enjoy Black Lake for what it is. Keep throwing that senko or whatever and have fun with all the bites you get. And catch those smallmouth that the south is envious of!
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

jerry d

Post by jerry d » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 am

Well my wife & I just spent last week on the lake.This has been our 12yr. on the lake. We've also witnessed the decline in the fishery.While this year has been the best year in the last 3yrs. it still isn't that great ! IMO the primary reason is......... IT'S A MEAT FACTORY !!!!!!!!!! PLAIN & SIMPLE !

IMO the cottage owners sould knock down ever fish cleaning house on their property. And start to advocate CATCH & RELEASE.

Black Lake,as we all know,is not a recreation lake like Lake George,it's a fishery.Once that is gone I'll bet a good number of those camps wont survive.

We were there 4th of July weekend & alot of cottages had vacancys,10yrs. ago that wasn't the case. This year I saw one camp {Sandy Cove} that closed down & another {N. Country } up for sale....sad.

As all that I can say is I hope that some of the camp owners & local bussiness owners read this board and do something to save what's left of this fishery & save their LIVELYHOOD.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am

Guys,
I know this still a hot topic based on the number of views, although the responses seems to have dropped off. Most of the responses seem to be from New York fisherman and I suspect some cottage owners who visit the lake pretty frequently.
I would love to hear from some folks from NJ and PA that visit the lake maybe once or twice a year. What do you guys think about the fishing? What do you think about Catch and Release, etc. Where will you go and spend your money if BL fishing really gets bad?
I would also love to hear from some of the Cottage Rental owners. Its no secret that your business is almost totally dependent on fisherman. If the fishing declines so does your business. What are you doing to promote catch and release? Your fish cleaning houses certainly don't! Do your guest know the fish and game laws? I have seen people cleaning fish for hours and hours, you cant tell me these are for their shore lunch! I suspect they are filling coolers and bringing them home. What about the people bringing in illegal fish or multiple limits per day? Are there any signs up in the fish house with the 1800-TIPP-DEC #? This may sound crazy but have you ever thought about adding a Security DVR Camera in your fish cleaning houses? I think it will make people think twice about breaking the fish & game laws. The people that don't like it you probably don't want staying their anyway.

I certainly don't pretend to have the answers here but I do know that those interested in truly protecting and preserving this great lake for future generations and for those trying to make a living from her need to do something.
Don't get me wrong I still believe Black Lake is still a good fishery, but it is definitely not the great one it used to be.
The average weight to win a bass tournament in the 1980's through the mid 1990's was 18-22 lbs with lunker in the 5 + lb range. I have looked at tournament results from several bass tournaments in the last 5 years and it now takes only 10-14 lbs to win and lunker has dropped to 3-4 lbs.
By the way I heard that some clubs are going to C&R tournaments to address the tournament mortality issue. I think this is a great idea!

Please keep this going! Look forward to your responses.

Thanks

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:44 am

I agree with bassbuster that more can be done to promote catch and release and advertise the 15" limit. The DEC has not done a good job advertising the 15" limit since its inception. They put it in the regulations and expect everyone to find it. I'd be curious in knowing how many anglers that come here from the surrounding states are not aware of the regulation. You can't totally fault them because they would have to know there is a special regulation first before looking for it in the book.

At Stick Marsh in Florida, when you arrive at the boat ramp, there is a huge sign that says "All Black Bass must be released". You can't miss it. How about a sign at our ramp that says "Black Lake has a special 15" size limit on Black Bass. Please preserve our lake and also practice catch and release".
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for the reply Captain. That's a great idea! If anyone from the BLA is reading please feel free to chime in. I think your organization should be able to help us with this effort.

Here are the BL special regulations:

Black Lake including the Indian River from falls in Rossie downstream to the confluence with the Oswegatchie River black bass 3rd Sat. in June-Nov 30 15" 5 Ice fishing permitted

Black Lake including the Indian River from falls in Rossie downstream to the confluence with the Oswegatchie River Walleye 1st Sat. in May-March 15 18" 3 Ice fishing permitted

Also, I'm not sure how many realize there are limits on panfish:

Crappie All year 9" limit 25
Sunfish (bluegill, pumpkinseed and redbreast sunfish) All year Any size 50
Yellow Perch All year Any size limit 50

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Posting the size would help, however I am still believer in the slot limit. No bass could be kept in the 15-18 inch range. Only one fish over 18 and four in the 12-15 inch range. This would allow more fish to reach their potential, I have seen it work. Personally, I let em' all go. Panfish are more plentiful and better tasting anyway. As far as fishing elsewere should the bass fishing go to total crap, never gave it much thought. I love a challenge so I will probably keep coming to BL regardless.

jerry d

Post by jerry d » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:28 am

The camp we stay @ { Camp Carol } it is CLEARLY posted. I haven't seen anyone taken undersized fish. I agree a slot limit would be a good idea.

z-nail

size limit

Post by z-nail » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 am

I'll bet every fish cleaning house at every camp has a size limit guide hanging on the wall. I know the Log Cabins does and so does Pleasant view.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 am

My family has been going to Black Lake for as long as I can Remember as a child and now I go with my Family. As my siblings do also.
You are right the Fishing has delined over the I would say last 10 years.
Each year it gets harder to catch Bass. We were at the lake from July 10 thru the 17. We only caught maybe 9 small mouth bass the biggest about 10 inches. by casting every surface lure we had in the taclke box and we have many. :)
The lake was the calmest We have seen it in a long time we were able to fish every day and the fish we caught were between noon and 4:00.
which is strange.
We did get into catching gar in lonesome bay on minnows and a bobber just before dusk. they are alot of fun to catch. But take them off the hook in the net don't lay them down in the boat what a mess.
We also caught 2 bowfins about 3 pounds and 5 pounds behinds Jennies Island.
My Nephew caught a 10 pound catfish he was excited. If only he knew they were have a contest at the log cabins :evil: maybe next time the kids will read the boards to know this before they fish,
The most amazing thing is I don't know how many times sitting at the Dock watching the lake this huge fish would jump completely out of the water in between Rasberry and tin Islands. It was seen at different times of the day by different people. We assumed it was a pike or maybe Musky :?: but awsome to watch.
It was sad to see Sandy Cove closed and North Country for sale and so many places up for sale. It just didn't seem to be that busy last week maybe the heat had something to do with it?
Another thing I missed was I didn't see any Loons or hear them singing in the morning ar evening. Did they move to a different part of the lake or did I just miss them.
But we will stil go back in the Fall and Next year I love the atmosphere and this forum is the best. This makes the whole experience to see people communicating and finally meeting is truly the best.

Tori

No Loons

Post by Tori » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 am

We have had a cottage by the Davies Monument for the last five years...north end of lake and I am yet to see a loon on the lake. This is disappointing as I heard that there were loons on the lake.
Tori

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:57 pm

I use to watch the Loons behind Rasberry Island in a large cove called orchard bay the loons would be there and sometimes in lonesome bay.
You could hear the set in orchard bay sing in the morning and at dusk.
I noticed this year there were alot more of the black birds that swim under as the loons do just not as far. I'm not sure what the are called or maybe they have invaded the Loons territory which would be sad. I will have to look it up.