fishing report w/o 6/26

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Pochucker

fishing report w/o 6/26

Post by Pochucker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Got there Sat afternoon by time we went to town for supplies decided not to go out till Sunday AM. Wont give you blow by blow daily description because some days are a little foggy in my mind. We were on water every day by 6 and usually earlier except one day we didnt get out till 7 --in the rain. Got rained on alot during week. Fished till 10 or 11:30 each day, then was back on water around 4/5PM.

My first impression Sun morning was "holy crap I never saw so many boats". I finally found some space and some fish around Conger Island. It became my go to spot all week. First few days had little company --by end of week became pretty crowded.

We (myself/wife/16 and 11yr old grandson)caught enough to keep everyone happy (total catch and release). We probably caught about 60/80 gamefish plus crappies/perch and sunfish. We lost too many fish as far as Im concerned ,which I will talk about in separate post , including what I think was large smallmouth I hooked in 17ft of water behind Conger Island on a Rapala DT16. I think the lost fish has something to do with my tactics with braided line.

The star lure of the week was a yellow perch X-Rap #10. I caught the first few fish of trip with it then my wife absconded it for rest of week. By end of week it need a new paint job --one of my complaints about Rapala lures. I tried three other X-Raps 1os with different colors --one small pike.
I caught 18" walleye on the perch version, the largest smallmouth (15") my wife caught the largest LM (17") and largest pike(27")

Not great size but one thing I will say about BL fish --they are all well fed and fat. If I didnt know better I would say the bass hadnt spawned yet. The pike from 22-27 all had "shoulders" not hammerhandles and fought like hell.

Other hot baits were Strike King 3/8 tandem blade spinner baits with willow blade and a Colorado blade. The willow blade had a "fish" design --needless to say the one with the perch blade did the most damage.

On Friday morning water was calm and I broke out Frog color Tiny Torpedoes and caught 7/8 LM

My general impression was --highly pressured lake which needs catch and release regs to maintain it. Dont get me wrong it seems like an extremely healthy fishery qty wise but im not sure about quality. We had a great time fishing, was hard but worth it --considering it was my first time on lake I was satisfied.

One other thing of note --at place I stayed they hosted bass tournament day of my arrival. After weigh in and the following day there were more than a few dead bass floating around the docks. Looking at some of the
boats participating I wondered if all of them had proper live wells. Im not a big fan of "small" tournaments for that reason. Just my opinion.

moonriver

Post by moonriver » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 am

Glad to hear you had a good time! Just to give you an idea, this will be our 8th year at the lake, and we haven't seen/fished half of it yet! It takes time to really get to know a lake of this size! Even with a "hot spots" map, and the "hot spots nobody talks about" info. At least you caught enough to keep everyone happy, and personally I think you did quite well for your first venture. I hope you took lots of notes because now is the time when you want to sit down, get the map out, and start planning for next year! Thanks again for the report!
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 am

Nice report, thanks for the info.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:49 am

Our trip From June 26 thru July 3rd. was very relaxing. Fished around the wind and a few showers that pass. Grandkids had a blast catching as you call them hammerhandles. They caught tons of pike about 9 to 14 inches just by throwing top water lures. they threw everything in the tackle box.
and caught fish. We did catch 4 nice pike 32 inches behind tin island not all in the same day I almost wondered if it was the same fish we were catching over and over. :lol: we ran into a school of perch in Lonesome bay that kept us busy for a couple of hours. Not to many bass this year only about I'd say 15 smallies average 12 to 14 inches.. We didn't manage to get any pictures for Jerry hopefully on our next trip.but all in all we had another fantastic week at Black lake. Can't wait to get back in August.
Good Luck to all...

You guys that are at the lake now keep up the reports it make us feel like we are still there :D Wildchild Aloe lots of Aloe....

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm

The discontinued Rapala wood Husky 13 in Perch or Fluorescent Red/Gold used to be the HOT ticket until I lost them all on muskie or pike. Can't afford ebay prices for those, but in the heyday there at the lake nothing like double header 4 lb bookends when you hit a school of them.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Lets just say that sunblock is now in my firstaid kit on the boat. :D Live and learn I guess. Must admit I have never fished in this kind of heat before.