Just Back 7-10-2010

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ken18621

Just Back 7-10-2010

Post by ken18621 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:34 pm

This was my first time at the lake and I hope that I can say it straight because the week really was a blur.

Let me start off by saying that it was mostly just my brother and I fishing. He is an ice fisherman and never did have the patience for open water fishing. I am not a strict bass fishermen but prefer a mixed bag of bass, trout, panfish and walleye.

We arrived on Saturday and the lake was pretty rough with wind and white caps. We didnt fish but opted to "set up camp".

At 5 am Sunday we ventured out to Rasberry and Tin Islands and fished the lake "Pennsylvania style". Black Lake is not typical of a Pa. lake and we struck out on bass for the day but we did catch a mess of bluegills once we got back to the dock (Pleasant View Cottages). And the strong winds didnt help much either.

On Monday we went out with Captain Randy Yager for a guided bass trip
(we caught around 20 lm and sm with less than ideal weather conditions. (see his posting for 7-5-10) We booked a full day trip. not an 8 hour trip like some guides...... With Capt. Randy we fished 14 hours. And he worked his a$$ off to find fish.
He is the real deal!!!

The winds finally slowed up and the heat came on stronger for the rest of the week.

My brother and I fished Tuesday, Thursday , and Friday for about 6 hours each day and our numbers were low to upper 20's each of those days with a mix of largemouths and smallies. We even had a couple times that we got doubles with a lm on 1 rod and a smallie on the other.

My lure of choice was a senko worm.
The location was points, dropoffs,coves, and edges of weedbeds. For the most part, we caught bass where ever we dropped anchor.

All fish we caught the entire week were released back into the lake. (including the panfish).

In my opinion Black Lake is a fine fishery, If you take time to "read" the lake you can see that this will be a great fishery for a long time to come.