july 14

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Bugbottle

july 14

Post by Bugbottle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 am

we've been at black lake since Saturday. it's our first time here. I'm just learning my way around the lake. staying at pleasant view cottages. some folks who have been here before have been helping us out with some spots to try. so far I've caught 3 nice bass and a 30 inch Pike and the wife has caught some pan fish. everyone else here has been catching a lot more but they have fished here before and know the lake alot better than I do. tremendous rain last night kept everyone off the lake. everyone I've talked to has been very helpful and I'm looking forward to better catches as I learn the lake better. all my fish Do far were caught on a deep dive rattleing a type crankbait and a blue black senko. anybody got any tips I'm all ears. if I do any better ill let you know.

moonriver

Post by moonriver » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 am

Hey Bugbottle, thanks for the "live report"! Sounds like you are having fun and success on your first outing at the lake! Most folks around camp are very helpful when it comes to catching fish! Just ask! I know it makes me happy to help someone if they are having a hard time! May the rest of your week be filled with success and memories of this awesome fishery! Thanks again for the report and I hope you continue to post throughout the week! It's almost like I'm with ya!:D p.s. - Fish the weedlines with your senko v..e..r..y..s...l...o...w...l...y...! and..........hang on!8) [/b]
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

jerry d

Post by jerry d » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Bug,stayed next store to pleasent view @ north country last year.What worked for me was anchoring up on the shoals of the islands near by & using crabs.............good luck!!

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Opposite side of raspberry as you look out from the docks.

the whole shore line coming up from McClears just outside the weedline - the wind usually cooperates and drifts you back towards plesant view

any point that extends off of any island is sometimes good too.

and finally- straight out from pleasenat view, through the channel take a right before island (i think its called conger) go down into that bay and let the wind drift you along that weedline..

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 pm

I agree with you all. What I have been finding is a few different patterns. Three weeks ago, shallow in weeds was working. Last week, rocky banks leading into shallow water with white senko's was working. Today, most success so far...fishing 8ft of water with Baby bass colored senko's was incredible. I say incredible because I fished on the water from 12 to 4 under the very hot sun and caught 6 total bass, one which was a large mouth, and lost a big one I should have been able to keep on the line as I had it for several seconds and then bam, lost it. All but two were caught texas style today. And I personally think color of the senko was EVERYTHING. A buddy put me onto this color from fishing in Watertown, and first day out, it worked great. Coincidence? Sizes ranged from 15" LM, 14, 13.5, 13, 12, and a 10 inch smallies. I definitely think today was the day. If I had not worked till 1am and got on the water early or stayed late, sizes and numbers would have been the best day I have had on black.

Highlight of the day..and this is by no means exaggerated, we saw a school of NO less than 50 Garpike. Most were in the 20" range, but one was at least 42" or so. And still caught bass around them. Must be they aren't scared. Only regret is leaving when we did. It was hot, son wasn't catching them, and trolling motor was being a pain. Other than that...life is good. Hope this helps.

harry pikeman

Post by harry pikeman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:45 pm

hey ragin, did you or anyone one you know of ever land a gar? anyone else out there? If so any pics?
Tight Lines! Harry Pikeman

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 pm

The first time I came about them at black lake last summer, someone responded to my post here and said they caught one and it trashed their boat. They said you don't want to, and nearly never actually do catch them as it is hard for them to bite or maybe they aren't as interested.

I have never caught one, had them NIP at my line and lure from time to time but they never seem interested and I really wouldn't want to catch one for the fact that they would probably trash the boat as I was told. Besides...kinda dangerous mouth I would think. Good question. Dying to see who responds about them because black lake is full of them.

kreppy01

Post by kreppy01 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 pm

I did get one, about 38", at night fishing for cats on cut bait. That has been the only time though...

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 am

Ragin is correct, they will destroy your gear if you let them flop around on deck. I have never caught one in BL, in fact I didn't even know that they were in there untill this year. Caught several while bass fishing in the Carolinas. Just a bit of advice, if you do catch one. Net the rascal, unhook it in the net, then dump it out of the net back into the water. You do not want one, even a small one, thrashing about in the boat. If you are trying to catch one, all of mine hit a spinnerbait and were hooked on the stinger hook. They tend to swipe at a lure as apposed to actually eating it.

jpatsfan11

Post by jpatsfan11 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 am

I caught a gar pike yesterday. It struck at a weedless plug being dragged across the lily pads. I did not bring it in the boat but estimated the length to be about 30-32". Very skinny fish and also the first one I've ever caught. I've been fishing this lake for 36 years and that is the only one I've even had on my line.

ricklin6

Post by ricklin6 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 pm

We catch several gar every year. Largest has been above 40 inches. Usually catch them at night on minnows under a bobber. Kind of fun watching that lighted bobber go ripping through the water a couple of feet under the surface. They can be caught by slowly reeling them in to the boat. For some reason a constant light pressure as you reel slow brings them to the boat. Sometime they will run but then they tend to hook themselves. We actually fish for them while we are also catfishing.

Rick