Guided Bass Trip on 7/14

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trip on 7/14

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 pm

On Wednesday July 14th I had Craig Cullen, his 14 year old son Garrett, along with Garrett's uncle Scott for a guided bass trip on Black Lake. Craig and Garrett are originally from northern NY and now live in Florida. Scott still lives in the area and fishes Black Lake when he can.

The day began very overcast but did not rain, eventually clearing and becoming warm later in the day. We began the morning fishing with a few live shiners on an offshore shoal. This produced the largest bass of the day, a 4lb largemouth caught by uncle Scott. I then switched them to the senkos. Neither of them had fished the senko before and boy were they in for a lesson. They proceeded to catch bass after bass, both largemouth and smallmouth, fishing the senkos mainly on an outer weedline. More than once we had other bass following a hooked bass to the boat.

After lunch I took them to two different shoals to fish with live crayfish. One of the shoals produced five solid smallmouths which they really enjoyed on the light tackle. Later we returned to the productive weedline. They finished the afternoon off literally catching fish on their last cast. I didn't count but they seemed to think they caught over 30 bass. And I would say near half were over 15'' with some solid 3 pounders.

Overall the bass are grouping up more with largemouth and smallmouth sharing the same areas. Many of the fish are still a little slender but should begin packing on weight as the season progresses.

Good luck to all fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

lumpy

Post by lumpy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for another GREAT repot!! This is why I go back to the forum day after day.Once again thanks for shareing have a great summer.

Slate97

Guided Bass Trip 7/14

Post by Slate97 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the information. How can someone get ahold of you to schedule a fishing trip? What are the cost ?
Thanks

hookumcookum

Post by hookumcookum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for the good report just makes me more excited! Glad to hear they are hitting senkos because thats about all we use. The 24th can't get here soon enough :lol:

funtimesBL

Post by funtimesBL » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Another good report.....I would enjoy seeing some pictures of these trips and catches.

kreppy01

Post by kreppy01 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:34 pm

When you fish your senkos, are they weightless? If not how much weight is added? Wacky or Texas?

hookumcookum

Post by hookumcookum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:45 pm

I fish them wacky. Weightless :D

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:22 am

You can go to my website at www.guidedbasstrips.com for more info on my trips. Or feel free to call me at 407-744-1350. I am also posting the pictures of Black Lake catches on my New York page. Prices are on the rates page.

I get alot of questions about the senkos. It's obviously been the most talked about presentation on Black Lake. Wacky rig has a more natural fall and texas rig works better in heavy weeds. Both are used weightless. I prefer wacky rig on a spinning rod for my customers. There are alot of colors that work. I feel the action is more important. Some colors are stiffer than others and don't shimmer as well. You may also notice that a "broken in" one gets more bites.

Randy
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Stick Marsh Bass'ing

Bass Fishing with Randy Yager

Post by Stick Marsh Bass'ing » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Randy,
Thanks a million! Garrett, Scott and I had the best time Bass fishing Black Lake. I have fished Black Lake many times over the years, but this trip was by far the best day ever for us on the lake! Black Lake is still one of the best Bass fisheries in the Country, and the numbers of bass we caught and released prove that. We took 42 photos of the Bass we caught and I'll forward them up to you, feel free to use them. Thanks for sharing your Bass fishing knowledge with us. Garrett and I look forward to fishing Toho & Stick Marsh with you this winter.

Happy Bass'ing to you all.

C. Cullen

Imbit

Post by Imbit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm

GuidedBassTrips wrote:You can go to my website at www.guidedbasstrips.com for more info on my trips. Or feel free to call me at 407-744-1350. I am also posting the pictures of Black Lake catches on my New York page. Prices are on the rates page.

I get alot of questions about the senkos. It's obviously been the most talked about presentation on Black Lake. Wacky rig has a more natural fall and texas rig works better in heavy weeds. Both are used weightless. I prefer wacky rig on a spinning rod for my customers. There are alot of colors that work. I feel the action is more important. Some colors are stiffer than others and don't shimmer as well. You may also notice that a "broken in" one gets more bites.

Randy
Randy,

Hope you don't mind, but I gotta ask - I've read about wacky rig fishing ... how the heck do you do it in weeds the likes of which are found in BL with an exposed hook ? Do you fish the outside weed edges & just let it fall all the way to the bottom ? Do you just jiggle it or work it in slowly like a texas rig ? Seems like such a bizarre technique ... just curious how to retrieve it ... thx !

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I highly recommend using circle hooks with the wacky rig. They are more weedless and they are definetely easier on the fish. Some fisherman fear they won't hook the fish but remember today's hooks are chemically sharpened. When a bass inhales a wacky rig, it folds in half and the hook goes toward the back of their mouth. When you pull, and that is all you need to do, the hook will roll and hook inside the mouth.

And you will be surprised the weedgrowth you can work it in. You don't have to let it go to the bottom. Allow the bait to settle and pull it back up.

Good luck,
Randy

Imbit

Post by Imbit » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:30 pm

GuidedBassTrips wrote:I highly recommend using circle hooks with the wacky rig. They are more weedless and they are definetely easier on the fish. Some fisherman fear they won't hook the fish but remember today's hooks are chemically sharpened. When a bass inhales a wacky rig, it folds in half and the hook goes toward the back of their mouth. When you pull, and that is all you need to do, the hook will roll and hook inside the mouth.

And you will be surprised the weedgrowth you can work it in. You don't have to let it go to the bottom. Allow the bait to settle and pull it back up.

Good luck,
Randy
Thanks - I'll try circle hooks ... the wacky rig caught almost as many as the texas rig - wacky rigging will get alot more attention going forward !!