tips for north end?

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

PA FishHog

tips for north end?

Post by PA FishHog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 am

Been fishing the north end all week and having very little luck. Can't seem to find any spots that the bass are holding. I know below the bridge 8-12 ft. Is a good depth, but there are no spots in the north end with that depth. Does the lake turning have something to do with the lack of a bite? The fish are active, I've seen enough bass surfacing, they just don't seem aggresive. The few fish that I have caught just haven't been hitting hard. I'm thoroughly confused and need to figure these bass out before Saturday. Normally we can pull up and fish the mat, or flip to lily pads and do really well for bass, this year just seems different. Hard to see the weed edge with the water as green as it is right now. I'm not sure if I'm just stupid or the fish just aren't biting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

z-nail

Bite

Post by z-nail » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:22 pm

My advice is to find clear water. When we were up there 3 wks ago we had very little luck where the water was discolored. we went down lake to raspberry Island where the water was clear to catch fish

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:59 pm

I was catching them in green water, but clearer green water. Not weed cluttered but on the edge of weeds and visibly so. You are so right about the lilly pads and mat though. I try and try to make that work and keep finding I need to just accept that they aren't biting there. They were biting there the first week of the season and haven't since. I do believe the after spawn hunger bite is gone and the next real phase hasn't happened yet. Guided bass posts explain it well. I find myself doing a lot of running and gunning and while it costs a lot in gas, I am not really seeing a reward at this time. It does give me a fresh look and new opportunity at a new spot. Truthfully, do to water depth on the north side, I haven't been up there since July 1st or so and I go weekly once usually twice. Any advice I can give is try several casts of top water, senko, spinner, etc, then move on to a new pattern. Rocks shallow, rocks deep, bank with weeds, bank without...etc. I went to four spots two mondays ago and had little luck. Stopped at an old favorite spot while driving aimlessly to somewhere and caught a 15 and 17 inch small mouth. The 17 incher was just shy of 3 pounds and my biggest small mouth yet. so....Who knows.

HawgBone

Post by HawgBone » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 am

Hey PA FishHog, I have something for you to try. we just started pouring these and they are working wonders at the lake right now. Send me a PM and we can meet up. I'll give you the secret weapon!
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

PA FishHog

Post by PA FishHog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 pm

HawgBone thank you so much, shortly after meeting with you I was back out on the water. The secret weapon worked! I was only able to fish it for 3 hrs., but I boated 6 bass. Two were keeping size! (3lb. And 5lb.) You definitely have a repeat customer here!

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 am

OK guys, what are the chances of finding out what the "secret weapon" is after your trips are over? :twisted:

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:26 am

Hey PA FISH HOG I'm glad you finally were able to get on some fish. I guess I always thought Bass fishing was about the challenge of the catching not the keeping that its all sabout? Too bad another 5 lb er had to be taken out of the lake and filleted. Wouldn't a picture have been enough? I assume when you said the 3 and 5 lb bass were keeper size that it meant you kept them? Hopefully I read way too far into that and. maybe what u meant to say was that although they were keeper size you released them to fight another day. If you did indeed keep them you Certainly have every right to because I know that it must cost you a ton of money to fish here! I just don't understand this mespecially since the fillets from fish that big are mushy and don't taste all that great anyway. Sorry had to vent let the hate mail begin!

Good fishing everyone and enjoy the lake.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 am

WOW!

Glenp

Post by Glenp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:59 am

Sorry Bassbuster...but whether he kept 2 bass or not is really none of your business. He did nothing illegal or unethical. While I never keep bass, as long as laws are not broken, whether someone else keeps or doesn't keep bass is none of my business. Your attitude illustrates why true conversation about conservation is difficult.

z-nail

Bassbuster

Post by z-nail » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:58 am

I'm with you Bassbuster legal or not there are just to many other fish that are much better eating to justify keeping bass. I just don't understand it.
I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he didn't keep the fish but I fear yøu are right.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 pm

This is a touchy subject. I'm not saying I'm for it or against it. I don't want to see this forum turn into a bunch of evil commits. After all my kids read this forum constantly for fishing advice and nothing was done illegally.

harry pikeman

Post by harry pikeman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 pm

hey bassbuster you are way out of line here man. their only following the rules for the lake and or the state. I also do not keep many bass but every once in a while I do, I have the right to. People like you make me not want to come back to the lake. Until black changes their bass policy people are going to keep them whether you like it our not.
Tight Lines! Harry Pikeman

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I never keep fish...but that's because I don't eat fish. That being said, I'm not gonna share secret weapons of any kind with anyone who does eat them, and if I share the info with you and find out later that you filleted fish that were healthy enough to be returned to the water then I assure you it will be the last tip you get from me. People are entitled to keep fish, that's a fact. However a 5lb bass in NY is between 10 and 12 years old...remember that when you're harvesting them and complaining about the fishery being fished out.
SK

nanookofnj

Post by nanookofnj » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:43 pm

I'd be wary to condemn anyone for keeping legal fish....the same way I'd be wary of condemning someone for their religious or policitcal beliefs.

I no longer keep any of the bass I catch to eat, but in the past, we have dined on sauteed smallmouth during our fall fishing trips. If someone wants to keep a few for the table, god bless them. They paid for a license so it's their right to do so.

About a decade or more ago I read an article in a national fishing magazine about Black Lake being the #1 bass fishery in NY or the North East. I'd have to think that alone brought a lot of anglers and fishing pressure to the lake. It also brought a lot of revenue to help the locals so it really is a double edged sword.

Looking forward to a week in the fall. Hope the air is cold and the smallies are hungry.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:16 pm

To guys like us, Fishing is a Religion. I suggest we end this discussion please. No good will come of it. I didn't know a 5lb bass was that old though, very cool to know that.