New to Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JackM

New to Black Lake

Post by JackM » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 am

I've never been to Black Lake but we have spent a bit of time in the North Country and eventually hope to retire up there. Most of my "serious" fishing has been in streams for trout years ago but haven't done much fishing for the past ten years. Now I want to do some lake fishing and am considering Black Lake for a fall (sept/oct) vacation.

My wife and I are looking for a place to stay (preferably a cottage/cabin) at Black Lake. Mary doesn't fish so I'm looking for a clean nice comfortable place. We have a well behaved Springer we'd like to bring. We plan to do a recon trip up there in the spring. Any suggestions about where to stay would be appreciated.

Jack

Phil
Site Admin

Re: New to Black Lake

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Welcome to our forum. There is lots of info here and most are willing to help out any way they can.

You should check out the "Accommodations" page here on this site. Most of the campground owners advertise there. I think you can tell from the descriptions which places might suit your purposes - give them a call and talk about what you are looking for - they will be honest with you.
Phil

JackM

Post by JackM » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi ptrivilino,

Thanks, I will be in touch with them after the holidays. The main reason I asked is that we have been stuck in a couple pretty sorry places that looked good in the pictures :cry: One of the reasons we are looking at Black Lake is that the last few times to the Adirondacks have been both expensive and not a lot of fun. Black Lake looks like better fishing and not too far from other places we enjoy. If we find a place to stay that we like we'll probably return.

Jack

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi Jack,

Black Lake is very relaxing. You will enjoy your stay; I have stayed at a number of the camps there and have not been disappointed. You and the wife should explore the little towns along the ST Lawrence River in your off time. Our family looks forward to Alex bay and Clayton. Alex bay has shops and boat rides to islands and Clayton has one of the best antique boat museums. You should start looking for a camp soon, they book up fast.

Enjoy and good luck fishing :mrgreen:
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

JackM

Post by JackM » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Bob,

We're pretty familiar with Clayton ( I have done research at the museum) but only been to AB once to get an ice cream. Where are you located?

Jack

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Jack I live in Ulster County, in the heart of the Hudson Valley. We are about 5 hours south east of Black Lake. We have relatives that own a house on the lake. I get a May pike trip every year and the summers are with the wife and kids. My wife and I always look at houses along the St Lawrence and hope to retire looking at boats going up and down the river. We are very close to the Hudson and not even close to being as nice as the towns and people along the St Lawrence.....Bob
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

JackM

Post by JackM » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am

Bob,

We like the North Country in general. I'd love to meet your relatives living on BL. We despirately want ou of the City of Rochester and have been looking at the Lawrence Valley realestate a lot.

We've been down to you neck of the woods while at a conference in the Catskills.

Problem is that if we enjoy it too much we'll not want to go home!

Jack

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:42 pm

My Family is also from the albany area. There are many places to fish around this area lakes, rivers and such. Nothing beats Black lake for relaxation. my family has been going to black lake for over 25 years. My wife & I don't fish much anymore we let the kids and grandkids do the fishing. The hustle and bustle seem to be gone from black lake and St lawerence area. we ( or the girls in our group)really enjoy going to alexander bay and Ogdensburg just to walk around and shop. Minature golf and just plain relax. My sons do good at times fishing on Black but sometimes its tough but it can be anywhere you fish. So don't get discouraged by not catching a ton of fish just enjoy the surrondings.