Pike Fishing

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

cdog
Newly Registered User

Pike Fishing

Post by cdog » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 am

Hello everyone, just wondering if there has been any pike activity this week? We are coming up this weekend and looking forward to catching a few. Been coming up this weekend for 22 years now and always enjoy the fishing on Black Lake.

redvers lewiston

Re: Pike Fishing

Post by redvers lewiston » Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 am

Was slow opening weekend. Water was real hi. The walleye fishing was good though. Pike should be ready to go by the time you are up there, good luck!
" I know the human being and fish can co-exist peacefully. " George W Bush

scramp

Post by scramp » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

When you say the Walleye was on, any more advice? Advice on anything really, would be appreciated.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 am

Redvers, can you give some more info on the walleye fishing.....locations or presentations that worked for you last weekend? I would greatly appreciate a starting point for this weekend. Thanks!

redvers lewiston

Post by redvers lewiston » Fri May 13, 2011 10:01 am

We were fishing along the shoal markers down near lonesome bay. North end of the buoy markers was the best. Nothing to worry about to much inside those markers cause the water is so hi. We drifted inside the buoys and casted x-raps and other crank baits. Mornings were best perch and blue&silver were the best colors. When we filleted them they were loaded with small perch. Fishing was best with some cloud cover as well. When the sun came out they must have went deeper. We lost quite a few of them as well. A larger one bit me off at the boat as we were about to land it, that was a bummer. We tried jigging and trolling but casting was the only we caught them. We also caught a few 'eyes in Orchard Bay drifting by the island using the same methods as before. Hope this helps you out. The pike fishing was off but I did catch a 35 in which made up for the lack of action. Good Luck out there.

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for the Update it is much appreciated. The bags are packed and so is the boat.. we will be up Sunday for the week. Looks like rain on and off everyday but like you said the pike hit pretty good when the weather is off. I have plenty of tackle so I hope to find out what they are hitting fairly soon and I plan on giving the perch imitations the first shot. I have to admit though that the #5 silver-blade Mepps have been the go-to lure for us the past couple years (NO Buck-tail). Again, thanks for the post

redvers lewiston

Post by redvers lewiston » Sun May 15, 2011 10:20 am

# 5 is always a good option, and I agree the bucktail never seem to work as good. Good luck

Staxeon
Newly Registered User

Post by Staxeon » Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Got back last week from the opening of pike season. Didn't get a single pike hit on live minnows all week, which is usually our old reliable. Got a couple smaller guys (under 25") using a small spinner with a white jig, and one on a pike plug, but overall it was a very slow week of fighting alot of wind for few bites.

It was perch all week long. They've thriving, I watched the biggest school of them I've ever seen just drift along under our boat, took a full 3 mins for the school to pass. If they're so plentiful I'm wondering where the pike are and what they're eating instead.

scramp

Post by scramp » Mon May 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Went looking for reports and couldn't find a lot, so thought I would take the time to provide one.

Went up this weekend 5/13 and 5/14. Weather was beautiful on Friday. Sunny 70's with light winds. Was staying at McClears Cottages, I think on the South end of the lake.

Fished the end of the lake with some shiners and had like 3-4 runs between 1PM-6PM and brought up one nice Largemouth Bass and one nice Pike (heavy).

On Saturday, the weather went down in the low 60's with rain and the wind picked up in the afternoon. Never went out in the boat, but fished from the docks at McClears Cottages and caught one real nice pike off the dock with a couple other runs.

Perch were biting in both places off small 1/32 Purple Jigs with Mister Twister Purple on bottom and small perch minnows both off the docks and at the end of the lake.

SLOW fishing, but still nice.