Wire Leader vs Mono Leader

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Gary

Wire Leader vs Mono Leader

Post by Gary » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Folks
Black Lake- Great Lake, Great Fishing, Great Forum
My wife and I fish for pike and bass at the same time. We both use 20 pound braid. We like it very much, but the pesky pike often bite us off, especially when using our favorite soft bait, the Sinko. It's not about losing the Sinko, as I get them cheep. It's about not catching the pike, as it may just be "the big one". Braid just will not defend against the pikes teeth. Usually after the 1st bite off I tie a single wire coated leader ahead of the Sinko. That works, but it's clunky.
However, lately I have been trying 15 pound mono ahead of the Sinko, with no bite offs here locally with pickerel. If there are any marks on the mono, I cut off and retie.
So everybody, what is your preference: Mono, wire, or something else altogether.

Best Regards,

Gary

Niagara-eyes

Re: Wire Leader vs Mono Leader

Post by Niagara-eyes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am

Hi. I tie my own leaders now using 12" of 30lb flourocarbon leader material and #3 ball bearing swivels. Its tough but still kind of "stealthy". I use them when bass or walleye fishing when I know there is a good chance at catching pike or musky. In two seasons I have never been bit off. If I am specifically after big pike or musky fishing I will use the SPRO 125 lb flourocarbon leaders.

ErikS

Post by ErikS » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I buy 12" Flurocarbon leaders 30lb test. Same as Niagara-eyes I just don't tie em myself. Gander Mt. sells them in a two pack. Prob cheaper to tie you own though i think i was paying $6+ for the 2 leaders. Ive never been broken off using these at Black Lake.
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for your feedback.

I will probably go with a heaver fluorocarbon leader in the 20+ pound range. I like the idea of attaching it directly to the braid and cutting off a few inches when necessary.
We will be on the St Lawrence for the last week in June and Black L. for the 2nd and 3rd week in July. With one long week of rest in between. Looking forward.
Thanks Again,
Gary

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm surprised you get so many bite offs with 20lb braid. I use 10 lb braid with no leader when pike fishing and rarely get bite-offs. I guess its different when fishing a Senko as the pike will usually get it deeper than a lure .... exposing more of the line to the teeth.

I believe that a wire leader will mess up the action of a Senko. A heavy duty floro leader might be your best bet.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I think what happens is that the pike bites ahead of the Sinko, in a attempt to take it front end first. I think the line gets caught between the teeth when they turn, it slides over the next tooth cutting the line, just like a knife. Of course, this is all in my mind.
Usually, it's one pull and it's all gone. I have been using PowerPro for about 4 years and Fire Line before that. I had the same problem with the Fire Line.

I use a double uni-knot line to line and a improved clinch to the tackle with no problems.

My wife caught a nice 23 in pickerel last weekend on a Texas rig Sinko. With inspection, I could feel abrasion marks several inches ahead of the hook. It's quick and easy to cut off and retie.

Anyways, I just purchased some 30 pound P-Line fluorocarbon.
We will see how that works.

Thanks for your interest
Best Regards,

Gary

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am

Do you texas rig or wacky rig your Senkos?

I typically wacky rig them with circle hooks. Usually, but definitely not always, I'll hook the pike in the lower or upper lip right at the snout. That usually keeps the line away from the teeth, but the Senko itself really takes a beating. Its rare that I can get through three pike with a Senko still usable.

jack

Post by jack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 pm

HI GARY, YOU MITE WANT TO TRY THE NEW UNI-FILAMENT LINE FROM BERKLEY.I'VE BEEN TOLD IT WILL BE AVAILABLE THE END OF JUNE. IT'S JUST LIKE BRAID BUT IT'S NOT FIBERS. MORE LIKE FLUORCARBON. THE 12LBS. IS ONLY .008 DIA. GOOD LUCK JACK

Gary

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I most often use a Texas rig on the 5 " Sinko. Usually a 4/o worm hook with a molded on cone sinker. Gets through the weeds an seems to be effective. This year, I started trying a 5" swim Sinko. It seems to catch fish as good as the traditional although, the swim part of the tail doesn't last as long. I am also experimenting with a trailer hook, to catch the short hits on the traditional Sinko (It doesn't work on the swim Sinko as the body is too thin in the tail).

Now and then, I do try the wacky hook-up. Usually when I'm not catching anything on the Texas. I think, when a fish isn't biting, it doesn't matter which way. Same thing with color. However, I think going smaller sometimes helps.

I have heard good things about the Uni-Filament line. I will try it on one of the poles latter on this Summer. Hopefully before the Black L. trip.
Thanks for the info.

Gary

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 am

That trailer hook is a good idea. I might try that.