Reports

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

harry pikeman

Reports

Post by harry pikeman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Ok guys what gives here? Bass opened a few days ago and the reports are very limited. My only thoughts are everyone has not returned back from their trips to post results or................. Pepole do not want to post because the amount of badgering and critiquing they recieve when they post something others don't like. This is the best time of year to get reports on what was working, where they were hitting and so forth. My crew uses this information for when we come up over the fourth of July and it really seems to help. I will be posting a day by day next weekend from Rogers via I Phone. Good luck to all!

Wheel Em in Boys....

Harry

cheftommy70

Re: Reports

Post by cheftommy70 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm

i hear ya harry!!! we'll be at rogers this weekend thru thursday and we'll post our results as soon as we get back...hopefully something will help ya...and hopefully i might pick up a tip or 2 before we leave...but if not i think we have a pretty solid game plan.of course lake conditions and wind/weather always can change a game plan pretty quick! :lol:

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 pm

I fished with one other guy on opening day from 5am till 8pm. We caught 26 bass and 4 pike. 10 bass were 15" to 16", and 2 were under 12". The rest were around 13 to 14". We only used senko's and fished in the weeds. The fish weren't very aggressive as they took the bait differently then gulping it like normal. We drove around 60 miles and from half way or so down the indian river to the northern part of the lake around Oak Point. We followed the shade which was very hard without a cloud in the sky. I wish I knew where some shoals were and how to fish the deeper ones, but will have to play around with that this summer. Rock bass were very aggressive and bit at our senkos, every chance they could get.

Overall I felt we had to "run and gun" and finesse the catch with senkos to get what we did. I didn't they the bite was aggressive but thought our 26 day was great....until I read the Captains report. Seems like I still have a lot of homework to do. Good luck to you all.

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 am

Sounds like a great day! Anytime you can catch 26 bass in one day is great. Most places you are lucky to get 5. Have you ever tried flukes, fishing them the same way as a senko?

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Just got back and had a great time. The weather was great , wind was being nice . Fish all over the lake and the water was high but was going down each day. The weeds were the big story , They are not very thick. I fish some spots in the north end that are unfishable most years. Some spots we had to look for weeds to find the fish. We fished alot of senkos but could fish almost any lure in the box. Blue and silver cranks worked on the LM . Had lots of bass in the 3 plus lb range during my 3 days of fishing and saw a friend get 3 pike on 3 cast. Biggest pike was 28 in. Hope anyone going up has the same luck. Seems as of late if you say Black lake is still a great fishing spot you will get beat up on this board . In our group we have guys who have fished black for 30 or more years and it's still got it. Just have to know how to fish it . I have been going up for 10 years and as I learn more each year it gets better. I love this lake . Tight lines all . Miss you Jerry and Glen

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks for the reports all! Two more months to go for me.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 am

Sounds like a great trip. RIP Jerry.

harry pikeman

Post by harry pikeman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 am

Starting to get some where, keep em coming. Sounds like its pretty productive for all. Would you say the water level is near its normal state now?

moonriver

Post by moonriver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am

Wow Tbone! Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a great trip! This is the best news I've heard about the lake in a long time! I used to post and p.m. with Jerry and learned a lot of valuable information about fishing the lake from him! Thanks again for sharing your experience! Your statement about "how" to fish the lake is the "key" to success!

I always ask myself while fishing the lake.......... WWJD? What would Jerry do?
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

Just talked to the guys still fishing and they say the water has gone down to normal.

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 pm

put this same post under decline of big bass topic

fished 2 days, morning and nights - boated 20+ bass, 10-12 ofwhich were over 15", most being 16-17.5", largest being 20 3/4" . Rest of the boat did similarly well.. about 50 bass in the 2.5 days. the big girl looked spawned up but was in 3-4 ft water in a bay where beds were prevelent.. Water temp was 68 in some parts, but 72 in most so spawn should be winding down / over. Even the <15" fish were mostly 14"

many baits worked well, in fact just about everything did. Little luck on spinner baits but senko's, worms, creatures, frogs, cranks worked well, senkos and works probably producing the best. - dark blues/black and watermelon colors..

with so little weed growth the fish were actually pretty easy to find and target, there was a very consistent pattern monday and tuesday (esp. tuesday), as the high pressure system put a mirror finish on the lake.

Wednesdays weather changed but the fish were still very hungry feeding pattern same, 5-6 of the 15+ fish were caught wednesday,.

All were released healthy...weightless senko really isn't fair to fish with - there were times when I had 4 hits in 5 casts (not bluegill hits eaither - bait swimming away hits)

largest pike was 32-33" cuaght while fishing for bass with a senko...boated 10-12 pike by mistake...

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

This is more like it. You are 100% right you have to know how to fish the lake it will be different everytime you go. That is what makes it Black Lake. Thank you guys for bringing back my interest in this forum again.
we are headed up tonight right after graduation. Good luck all.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:25 am

I happen to love BL for the challenges that it throws at me. The fish are there, as we all know. But to figure out a pattern and make it work can be a daunting task. The weather and wind can change in an instant, what works one day may produce nothing the next. I also learned much from Jerry (RIP my friend), and the biggest was to go into it openminded and not keep throwning what the fish don't want. Fortunately most people practice C&R so there are fish to be caught.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for the great info! We are on are way now & will be there in 6 hrs.. Unfortunately I don't have a laptop so I cannot give a report until I get home in a week.

Danny Boy
Newly Registered User

Post by Danny Boy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:55 pm

My wife and I just returned from a week at the lake. Fishing was pretty fair from Saturday thru Weds (until the weather turned). As posted previously, weed cover was significantly more sparse than what we've experienced in past years. The key seemed to be weedy patches in and around rocky flats, points, or humps. Conditions were excellent for shallow to mid-depth cranks, and aside from the occasional pike or perch, the largemouth were eager takers. We did well in the stretch of 5' - 8' break from the rock wall by Toti's down to McLear's with craw colored cranks, and a shad colored Big-O. Naturally, Senko's drew strikes pretty much every where we fished. The only brown fish we hooked into were on Senko's around Wood Island Shoal. Saw some impressive stringers come into camp from guys concentrating on the weedy areas around Mutt and Jeff, and Devil's Graveyard areas.