Question on bass?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Susky

Question on bass?

Post by Susky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:47 pm

First off let me say I am not trying to start a discussion on ethics here, I'm just looking for clarification. I am coming to Black Lake the third week of May. I understand bass are not in season not even C&R. What is classified as targeting and what isn't? On my local lakes we drag top water lures over weeds to catch pike and pickerel but obviously thats also a great way to catch bass. Using live bait is another example, you can literally catch anything that swims with a worm and a bobber. If I go through my tackle box and get rid of everything that can catch a bass I'll have nothing left to fish with. I know that's extreme and not what's expected but you get my point. Like I said I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm sure you guys get tired of answering this question. I just know I hate standing in my local fly only trout stream and watching some out of state guy floating live worms. I'm simply trying to inform myself so I don't turn into 'that guy'.

erik

Re: Question on bass?

Post by erik » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm

I hear ya. The way I look at it is if your harassing bass while they sit on their beds then your targeting bass as well as if your throwing plastic worms or other bass type baits without using leaders then your targeting bass. I'm sure their are other scenarios that may apply. And as far as being that "guy", i ran into him last Friday at the Chaumont boat Launch. While we were putting our boat on the trailer we hear a guy say "check that out", so we look and there he stands holding a 4-4.5 lb smallie. already dead of course. So we tell him nice fish to bad your 2 months early. He replied, "i'm a soldier and i didn't know they were out of season." So he then walked over to the rocks and threw it back in the water? At that point at least eat it. So before we left we went over to tell him the season dates and there in his bucket were 4 more pigs. WTF, right?!

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Susky wrote:First off let me say I am not trying to start a discussion on ethics here, I'm just looking for clarification. I am coming to Black Lake the third week of May. I understand bass are not in season not even C&R. What is classified as targeting and what isn't? On my local lakes we drag top water lures over weeds to catch pike and pickerel but obviously thats also a great way to catch bass. Using live bait is another example, you can literally catch anything that swims with a worm and a bobber. If I go through my tackle box and get rid of everything that can catch a bass I'll have nothing left to fish with. I know that's extreme and not what's expected but you get my point. Like I said I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm sure you guys get tired of answering this question. I just know I hate standing in my local fly only trout stream and watching some out of state guy floating live worms. I'm simply trying to inform myself so I don't turn into 'that guy'.
Easy - if you are fishing for pike, or walleye, or perch, or crappie, or whatever and you start catching bass ---- move on. It's that simple, don't stay there catching bass while you are fishing for something else. Don't matter what you are using for lures or bait.
That's my opinion and the opinion of a few "men in green" that I know. 8)
Phil

Ballz out Bassin

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I had the same question. I can only thing I assumed was they didn't want you to mess with the Bass while they were on their beds. Other than that I use pretty much the same lures for both Bass and Pike. If the Bass hit it, it's not fault. I always catch and release anyway.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 am

It's a shameful act to kill 5 quality fish more than 2 months before the legal season.

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 am

Ballz out Bassin wrote:I always catch and release anyway.
Damage is still done even if you catch and release. When you pull the bass off of their egg bed predators move in and eat the eggs. I assume that's why there isn't a catch and release season on BL.
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 am

Every spring we have this discussion on this forum regarding the closed bass season and the key word is "respect". Please just respect the bass in this lake while you are pike fishing. Respect means handling them well before releasing and not purposely targeting them for fun. We've all been doing that for years. Of course you are going to catch bass. They are aggressive which is why the season is closed. I respect the closed season by purposely turning down guide trips. You would not believe the calls I get from guys wanting me to take them bass fishing before the season opens. I don't guide pike and walleye and I tell them I'd be glad to take them after the season opens.

As far as the Chaumont Bay incident, remember we all have cameras on our phones and the DEC has a hotline you can call. I have it programmed in my phone for that reason. Just like a neighborhood watch group we can all do our part to help the DEC protect the resource.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Susky

Post by Susky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 am

I appreciate all the responses guys. For someone use to PA's laws this can be a huge gray area. Common sense and respect always win the day. I think I have a good handle on it and can't wait to visit your lake.

Thanks

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 pm

A good rule of thumb is to "stay away from the shoreline". That will greatly reduce your chances of catching a bedding bass. Besides, pike are usually further out along the weed edges anyway.

JR

Post by JR » Wed May 16, 2012 9:18 am

It would appear Captain Randy, and just about everyone, who responded shares my beliefs. I did talk to a DEC agent about this and he says the same thing. It is a gray area, but you probably don't want to him to find you over a bunch of bass beds with a rubber worm. Other than that, target your other fish and if you do happen to catch any, be very careful and release them quickly. It is because most of us follow these gidelines that there is enough bass in the lake that you catch them on accident and as often as you do. With that in mind, I say relax and have fun.

And although I am a firm supporter of our troops, and I can see wanting to go out and fish, there is no excuse for not quickly checking seasons if you are planning on keeping fish. I think just the fact that you said something to him will help slow him down from doing it. I don't think the DEC needs to be called in everytime, but friendly reminders on our part can go a long way. If someone points out that I'm breaking the law, I apprecitate the reminder, if they see me do it again, I shouldn't be surprised to get a visit from a man in a green uniform.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 pm

They were catching some nice smallmouths along my rocky shoreline last week out in 6-8 ft of water. Not sure what they were targeting with their artificial lure but on ultralite equipment each bass put on an aerial display jumping at least 10 times. Nobody camped out, they would do what I see most anglers do all season just keep on covering water.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 am

They were catching pre-spawn smallmouths. Bass are actually easier to catch before they go in to spawn than when actually spawning. The water is warming, their metabolism is rising, and they need to eat before they go in to spawn. That is why the closed season is such a debate. The guys who know this feel like hey.....I just want to have fun with them while they are aggressive before they go in to spawn. Which is why the DEC has gone ahead and allowed it in other parts of the state....Just not here.

Mr Simon is right about staying away from the shoreline. In other words, stay out of the extreme shallows where you might see them when they are spawning. Targeting spawning bass is the true no-no. Don't feel bad about catching some off-shore bass while you are just fishing for whatever. The weather is beautiful now and nobody expects you to stay off the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Sun May 20, 2012 11:08 am

We didnt target bass at all, we had pike rigs big bobbers treble and steal leader with monster minnows, and crappie rigs, small tube jig tipped with minnow and bobber, and it was impossible to not catch bass, thier everywere all that were caught were quickley and safley released but Ill tell ya we prob caught dam near 50 thru out the week and 95 percent of time it was on crappie rigs

492VS

Post by 492VS » Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 am

The senko shoreline fishermen were out in full force this weekend. One smallmouth guarding a shellbed in one foot of water was caught numerous times. Closed season hello! I also saw some texas rigged rubber worm and jig and pig baits being thrown also, not your typical pike/walleye lures. Everybody reported excellent action of all species.
One morning I woke up to a huge pack of party boats in the bay. Each boat had at least 5 fishing, watching 2 humongous bobbers each. Not much square footage was left uncovered. Watching them for a while, now thats the way to cover some water and have fun. I had to laugh most of the time it was somebody else in the boat telling the person his bobber was under.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Mon May 21, 2012 11:51 am

I'm just curious how people can just watch people blatantly break the law and not doing anything? If you see this stuff call 1-800-TIPPDEC and give them boat reg numbers and take a pic w cell phone. Also see recent article in WATERTOWN paper.
http://northcountrynow.com/news/dec-say ... nty-057586