TOXIC ALGAE?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

boats11

TOXIC ALGAE?

Post by boats11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am

Toxic Algae Bloom Discovered In Black Lake

Story Published: Aug 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM EDT

State officials are advising people to stay out of the water in part of Black Lake after an outbreak of toxic blue-green algae was found near Tavern and Conger islands.

Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) officials say an algae bloom like the one in Black Lake can be harmful to people and animals if ingested or if it comes in contact with exposed skin.

Hot summer conditions are blamed for the outbreak.

Black Lake is one of 19 areas across the state that have algae alerts after floating rafts of the blue-green scum were confirmed from water samples.

Exposure can cause nausea, diarrhea, skin irritations and breathing problems.

Fish should not be taken from water that looks like spilled paint, pea soup or bubbling scum.

"This sort of a bloom is usually very localized," said the DEC's Rodger Klindt.

"It's not going to encompass all of Black Lake, so wherever the notices have been put up, it's a very localized thing," he said.

"Overall, it's not going to have a negative effect on the fish population," he added.

Visit the DEC's website for an online map of algae blooms with a list of precautions.

Previous Article Another Court Delay For Svetlana Sorokina

Next Article DPAO's Biggest Concert Ever Hitting Stage Tuesday Night

Most Popular

10 National Guard Troops Injured In Fort Drum Lightning Strike
Fort Drum Razing Barracks, Building New Hotel
Gouverneur Mayor Resigns
Potsdam Man Charged In Sex Case

Thursday, August 16, 2012
, Watertown, NY

Twitter
WWNY on Facebook

CASKINETTTES Throttle Shop (WWNY/WNYF)
Massena Hospital (WWNY/WNYF)
WWNYTV.COM a powerful platform
What's On TonightFull Schedule
On Wall Street
Mr Food on WWNY/WNYF
Copyright © 2001-2012 WWNY TV 7 United Communications Corp., Watertown, NY
Public File Info
Privacy
Powered by Broadcast Interactive Media.
:shock:

sasnyder

Re: TOXIC ALGAE?

Post by sasnyder » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am

I know this can be a serious thing. You do have to be careful with algae! Stay out of it and you should be fine. Is the algae in the news more this year because of the warmer weather and low water? I recall the algae every year in some areas. Who on earth would fish or swim in it. I'm not by no means trying to be sarcastic. but do you think this might keep the tourist away if they are first timer's?

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Is this thread going to be deleted by the moderators just like the last one on the same topic was? I thought this was a discussion forum, not a "say what you want as long as you agree with me" forum.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 am

Lots of news "coverage" I call it sensationalized reporting. This is not "new" to Black Lake. Why have they chosen to sensationalize it this year? Maybe it is worse than "normal" because of the extremely warm summer (water) for a longer period of time?
Phil

RochNY

Post by RochNY » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 am

Hello everyone,

Yes Phil, you are right, there is a lot of news coverage of this year's algal bloom. And with good reason. It is NOT sensationalized. It is a fact, that this year the bloom is a change from prior years in that: It is much worse than normal, largely due to three factors--prevailing hot temperatures, long periods with little to no rainfall and third, ever-increasing levels of phosphorous in our lake. Not only is the bloom more extensive, but this is the first year we've seen widespread occurence of Microcystis, a blue-green cyanobacteria that can produce dangerous toxins. While every year Black Lake has some levels of algal blooms, this is the first year we've seen such a prevalence of Microcystis specie. Most algae (other species) are harmless. Microcystis and a few other species are NOT.

And of even more significance is that the Black Lake Association's samples of the suspected Microcystis have confirmed that it is the species of concern, but more to the point, this year, at this time, the Microcystis is secreting extremely high levels of Microcystin, a neurotoxin that can cause severe skin reactions, liver damage, kidney failure, nerve damage, death to pets who groom themselves after being in a Microcystis bloom area. Further, scientists do not know how much is bioaccumulated in the flesh of fish, nor do they know which levels of the food chain accumulate the most. This is nothing to fool around with. The toxin can cause severe gastrointestinal distress and even death. Long term it has been shown to lead to liver cancer.

The Black Lake Association posted an alert on this site upon getting the test results that showed that the toxin level was 20 times the level where the World Health Organization recommends that water-contact should be avoided; 200 micrograms per liter. The Black Lake Association also communicated that same information to the St. Lawrence County Soil and Water Conservation District who immediately alerted the St. Lawrence County Health Department. In addition, NYSDEC communicated with the NYS Dept. of Health (who presumably would also alert St. Lawrence Co. to the potential danger). In other words, as soon as information was received and confirmed, we wanted the public to know--forewarned is forearmed. That is not sensationalism, it is fact and it's something that people need to know about.

Our water sampling volunteer posted on here with wording that was approved / recommended by NYSDEC to not cause alarm or panic. I posted in response to some readers' questions. But those posts were deleted. One reader even suggested that the Black Lake Association did NOT want the information out because it would sully the lake's reputation. NOTHING could be further from the truth. Black Lake is an exceptionally beautiful water body and we encourage appreciation of it's resources and beauty along with stewardship of this wonderful legacy. However we would NOT sweep under the carpet, critical information needed to protect the public health. Black Lake has it's challenges--all of us know that. We do not make the situation better by sticking our heads in the sand or pretending that something harmful isn't all that big a deal when we know to the contrary.

I hope this post won't be deleted. I want to summarize by saying: Come fish in Black Lake--but for now, throw them back--don't eat them--err on the side of safety. Come swim in Black Lake--but in areas devoid of visible thick algae blooms--because it's more pleasant an experience anyway. Come boat in Black Lake--but take care that you don't bring in any invasive 'hitchhikers' and be sure you don't take any of our invasives with you when you depart. Come waterski or jetski in Black Lake--the long fetch makes it ideal for this recreational pursuit. Sailing, canoeing, kayaking, rowing all work too, algae or no algae! Wash off your pets if they do enter the water. Wash well any areas of skin that are covered with algae or that have been in contact with water in the areas of thick blooms.

For further information, please go to the NYSDEC website: http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/77118.html and you can learn the facts about harmful blue-green algal blooms and what you need to do to protect you and your family.

We cannot address these problems if we are unaware. Unless each one does his/her part to preserve, protect and enhance Black Lake, we will not have this wonderful legacy to leave to our heirs!

I hope this post doesn't get deleted by the Administrator.

Sincerely,

Richard Henderson, President, Black Lake Association, Inc.
Preserve, Protect and Enhance Black Lake
Preserve, Protect, Enhance Black Lake Every Day

jack

Post by jack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

i know you said the lake is tested high in phosphorous, but i was just thinking. was the input waters like fish creek,indan river,and any other input streams tested? if the water coming into the lake is high to start with that's a problem. jack

RochNY

Post by RochNY » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Yes, Jack you are correct. There is an Army Corps of Engineers' Reconnaissance Study taking place this summer. That study is being conducted with sampling, biological assessments and shoreline, weed growth and aquatic vegetation mapping as well.

Black Lake Association, Inc. has participated in the NYS DEC / New York State Federation of Lake Associations (NYSFOLA) Citizens Statewide Lake Assessment Program for over 25 years now. We provide volunteers who sample Black Lake's waters after receiving training from DEC and provide those samples every two weeks throughout the warm season quickly to a certified NYS lab for analysis. Annually we receive the results of those samples. The program costs are shared by NYSDEC, NYSFOLA and Black Lake Association. There are resources available to only do one sample of Black Lake every two weeks, so that sample is taken near the middle of the lake and represents an AVERAGE of various chemical and biological indicators over time. As you know, averages hide the range of variation--they provide only a center point for the span of data collected. We know that the average level of nutrients in Black Lake is INCREASING over the years.

What we don't know (until this summer) is WHERE the nutrients are coming from. Certainly Fish Creek and the Indian River are points of upstream contribution of nutrients. Sediments in Black Lake itself are another source. Peoples' lawns, septic systems, exposed or eroding soils around the shoreline are yet another source. In most cases septic system overload, age and/or failure are the biggest contribution of phosphorus and nitrates to the lake's waters. Detergents from washing vehicles/boats, fertilizer on lawns and plant beds, septage and even runoff from roads and roofs add to the nutrient load. Farms have been a factor in the past, but farmers know that nutrients are money. It is in their best interests to keep nutrients on their croplands. Also the number of working farms in the watershed has drastically diminished over the past few decades.

This summer's study includes repeat samples from about two dozen points around the lake INCLUDING the Indian River and Fish Creek and shoreline areas where higher concentrations of human activities have occurred (houses/camps/businesses). We will learn from those results a great deal about WHERE the phosphorus is mainly coming from. That will let us focus our mitigation efforts. The Black Lake Association will publish the results of that study in our Fall Newsletter, Black Lake Currents. You can receive a copy by joining the Black Lake Association--click on the sidebar link to AREA ASSOCIATIONS and open the Black Lake Logo to see how to join. It's just $20.00 per calendar year. The money supports our educational efforts, our studies including CSLAP participation and our overall efforts (signage, outreach, etc.) to Preserve Protect and Enhance Black Lake.

Sincerely,

Rich Henderson, Black Lake Association, Inc.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Rich. I think that is what folks are looking for, here.
Phil

oldmanriver

Post by oldmanriver » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:57 am

Yes probably overblown a tad, but maybe this should serve as a wake up for folks to take personal responsibility to address their illegal or malfunctioning septic systems and stop draining grey water directly into the ground. There are many new systems out now that are approved that don't require the same amount of leach field area etc. Yeah they can be costly but it sure beats turning the lake into a sewer! Remember preserve and protect BL for FUTURE generations. Thanks

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

I find it interesting that when the "common folks" post that the weeds in their area are overwhelming and are having a negative impact on their quality of life on Black Lake the "experts" respond that the weeds are beneficial and create a great ecosystem and excellent fishery. On the other hand when people like Public health Director Susan Hathaway and Clarkson University biology proffessor Michael Twiss post warnings about unhealthy levels of toxic substances, based on actual testing, the business owners practically form a band of non-believers and are in a panic stricken mode of "don't take my livelihood away". My prediction...unless something is done to actually enhance this lake 20 years from now this community will be lined with old, abandoned, fishing camps.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Well, bigmouth, I will waiting with my checkbook when the lakefront becomes abandoned and no one wants any part of it. 20 years is a "blink of an eye" in the life of Black Lake. IMO this is just another "different" season for Black Lake. Things can and do change; and there is not much mankind can do to change that. Mother Nature will do much more for us.
Phil

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 pm

The good news is the bloom seems to be past its peak and getting better. Last weekend there was aqua blue algae all around the island I am on, really terrible. This weekend there is no blue at all. Hopefully the cooler temps ahead will continue to help.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Anyone get "sick" yet? ANYONE? :lol:
Phil

RochNY

Post by RochNY » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 am

Phil,
I'm a bit disappointed. The tone conveyed in your note, was almost gleeful--suggesting that if no one got sick, the warnings were 'false alarms'. They were not and are not. Reports I'm getting from our observers on the water are that the bloom(s) appear to be diminishing...that's good news.

In answer to your question however, someone (well two somones) did get ill. I had a call from someone who told me that because of the warnings, he knew what to tell the doctor when he and another member of his family actually did become ill. Fortunately, this person expressed gratitude that he had the knowledge of what might be the cause of this GI upset and skin rashes. He thanked me and our CSLAP sampler for getting the word out and providing accurate information. Fortunately, he wasn't (nor was his family member) seriously injured and he says BECAUSE OF OUR WARNING, he and his family feel confident that returning to Black Lake is a very safe thing to do--he mentioned that they love Black Lake and enjoy a fishing, boating and swimming very much.

I was hesitant to publish this since it was merely one report. But your implied statement that since no one got sick, the warnings were unnecessary and overblown as some camp owners have stated, is just plain wrong.

I pray every day that there are no additional reports of illness or harm from this summer's situation on Black Lake. The Association has sampled bloom areas two more times since the initial sample results were reported and we're awaiting toxicological assay results. Please know that if there are high microcystin (toxin) results again, the Black Lake Association and the various governmental agencies will react and issue warnings the exact same way. We know that it is in the long-term best interest of local businesses to provide protective information to their clientele. This is the best way they can assure future economic viability for themselves and the community. It is not 'alarm', it is concern!

Sincerely,

Richard Henderson, President, Black Lake Association, Inc.

boats11

Post by boats11 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 am

THANK YOU ROCHNY!IM GLAD SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE TAKING THIS SERIOUS