Dock question (again)

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

njmike

Dock question (again)

Post by njmike » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:12 pm

I have a camp on the north end of the lake. I'm in the area of Stone church RD. I plan on getting a floating dock in the spring to replace the dock that came with the house that is rough shape. The question is, How far into the lakebed will I be able to drive pipe? if I have 4' of mud, 4' of water, and 5' of pipe extending above the dock that's 13' long pipe. dose this sound right? what length pipe are others using?

thanks,
Mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

SKIPPY56

HI I THIMK IM YOUR NEIGHBOR DID YOU BUY AMISH COTAGE ON MEMM

Post by SKIPPY56 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:16 pm

[img][/img]

njmike

Re: Dock question (again)

Post by njmike » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:28 am

Skippy, PM sent
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Has anyone used this brand dock? have you ever seen it in use on BL? I know I could make it out of wood but they don't last and they weigh a ton. I can get 36' for about 3k. I would have to get the barrels and decking.
www.rollingbarge.com

thanks,
Mike
D. Larson

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Does anybody know if these floating docks survive ice out flow. I know i've seen some floating dock sections high and dry in the woods back in a few bays.

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm

I would think all docks are removed for the winter. This brand says you could leave it in but I don't think they would recommend that on a lake like BL. Maybe a pond.
D. Larson

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm not sure much of anything will survive ice-out flows.

My cottage came with a homemade floating dock. I used it for a season and HATED it. Putting poles in and out was a pain. And it didn't slide up and down with water level changes like I'd hoped. I had to tighten down the set screws on the poles to keep the thing steady enough to walk on ... meaning it wouldn't go up or down on its own.

I forked out the coin for a nice Roll-in aluminum dock and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I pay a guy $100 in the Spring to put it in and $100 in the Fall to take it out. You just crank it up and down if the water level changes too much. Very solid!

irishman13

Post by irishman13 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:56 am

njmike wrote:Has anyone used this brand dock? have you ever seen it in use on BL? I know I could make it out of wood but they don't last and they weigh a ton. I can get 36' for about 3k. I would have to get the barrels and decking.
http://www.rollingbarge.com

thanks,
Mike
Mike,

Our neighbor on the river has one of these but a bit smaller. IT's fairly light to pull in and out. He hooks up to side by side and pulls it out.

If you are looking for barrels we have about 12 40gal rectangular barrels for sale. $20 a piece.

njmike

Post by njmike » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks. I have an in for free barrels. Thanks for the info all. If anyone has a specific brand dock that you got locally let me know

Thanks
Mike
D. Larson

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Two years ago I purchased a Rolller Dock. It is made out of a aluminum frame and some kind of material that doesn't deteriorate. The frame is mounted on two large fiberglass/plastic type wheels. There is also a lifting devise that raises and lowers the whole dock. Across from the Log Cabins store one can observe these docks that are for sale. There is a small shed that has information on the docks also. The cost is roughly $16 a linier foot. So they arn't cheep but they will last forever. Fortunatly for me I only had to buy one 16 ft section as a few feet from shore it drops to about 2 feet. Taking it out has been real easy. Nothing like that old wood dock that I had for many years. I recommend this style dock to anyone. Catch & Release!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 am

Those are the same guys I bought mine from. Great service, good prices, and professional installation.

You can see mine in the picture a few posts above this one.

The floating barge docks look pretty cool and well made. I'm sure they would be fine on the lake. But personally I don't like a dock that moves underneath my feet. I like it rock solid, even in wind and waves. I have three little kids too, and they were scared to death of the floating dock we used to have.

njmike

Post by njmike » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for the info guys. I think I found the dock I'm going to get. It's a floating dock made by candock. It's plastic cubes that link together in any combination of shapes. I was apprehensive because it's plastic but they have great reviews and a 20 year warranty. They do a lot of commercial projects like large marinas. Another reason is I'm buying it in Canada and with the current exchange rate it will save me a ton of money. 1000 island docks is the dealer and Rick Dunn has been great to work with.
D. Larson

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:07 pm

How will something like that be to walk on during heavy wind/waves?

njmike

Post by njmike » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

2 lakes near my home in NJ have this type of dock. They are kinda spongy to walk on but not too bad at all. It will be held in place with 4 or 6 3" pipes for a 32' long dock depending on the layout. part of the design of the dock is its ability to move with waves during storms. But all floating docks could be a problem in rough weather. They have some crazy videos on YouTube of candock in the ocean surf as a demonstration. You can't walk on it but it's surprising it stays together.
D. Larson

kspako

Post by kspako » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:28 pm

you should be good. we have a heavy floating dock built out of a trailer frame on the north end. we use 2" pipe and don't drive them in at all. just drop the polls in the spring and they work themselves in about 2 ' on there own.