Pike Fishing this Weekend

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Best fishing on Black Lake

Poll ended at Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 am

Bass
73%
Pike
18%
crappie
9%
bullhead
No votes

Total votes: 11

eb.snowboarder

Pike Fishing this Weekend

Post by eb.snowboarder » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 am

Hello All,

I will be visiting Black Lake this weekend for the open of Northern Pike fishing. I am a bit new to this lake and would like some advice from anyone who has had success on the lake catching Northerns. Past years I have fished at the fisherman's creek bay, had alright success, but I am looking for other bays that might bring success.

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Pike Fishing this Weekend

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 am

eb.snowboarder wrote:Hello All,

I will be visiting Black Lake this weekend for the open of Northern Pike fishing. I am a bit new to this lake and would like some advice from anyone who has had success on the lake catching Northerns. Past years I have fished at the fisherman's creek bay, had alright success, but I am looking for other bays that might bring success.
Any of the bays - float a shiner over the weeds, crank a spinner or spoon. Lots of ways to get them pike.

Where's "fisherman's creek bay"?
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 am

You missed a few species in your opinion poll. :D
Phil

fisherman2582

Post by fisherman2582 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah what about walleye

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Hammer handle pike are EVERYWHERE!! Never caught a big one on Black lake yet. Big bay though, with a cabela's canadian spoon just above the weeds...crushes them. At least during feeding time before dark it worked for me.

JR

Post by JR » Tue May 04, 2010 1:43 pm

We swear by our Rapala's, they seem to work best for us. Find weeds below the surface and keep them above them. Stick with perch or shad colors, in about a #10 size. Just a steady retrieve and you will be landing them.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Mark my words...try to prove me wrong. Cabela's canadian spoon...hammer color which is the orange one. Nothing beats it for pike.

JR

Post by JR » Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Hey Rajin,

I like your attitude and propose a little contest. I will be going up there the last week of May for pike and want to see who's big gun is best. I will pick up one of your orange hammered spoons and you pick up my Rapala XR-10 in the perch color. We will both try each and see which one works best. What do you think?

JR

Post by JR » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Sorry Ragin,

It looks like your spoon is back ordered. I would have to buy 5 of them, which I might do if you can tell me what size you use.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 pm

You are on. Let me tell you a story though. I belonged to a fishing site called getreeled dot com. It was like a myspace for fishing. Met this girl, yes girl from canada that goes on fishing adventures with her husband on many canadian lakes for pike. She talked and talked about this lure, so I went and bought 2 sizes, one being the big one. My friends picked on me for being so easily sold on fishing gear. However, one night in black lake, big bay just over the weeds, the pike just attacked and attacked. Just this past Sunday I was fishing Chippewa and took out the big one which I never really use thinking it is too big. BAM a pike....two casts later....BAM a pike. I don't remember sizes, but here is a picture of them, along with the fisherbabes testimonial. Yes her name is that. She is real and down to earth and hot..lol...but loves to fish and has her own website on it. Bottom line..the lure works. I think this color is discontinued. Might have to paint strips of orange on the hammer nickel one. I am having trouble finding the exact lure you said. Put a link in for me to find it and I will pick one up in black lake after I know what it looks like. Good Luck

http://www.fisherbabe.com/2009/03/layin ... -down.html

JR

Post by JR » Fri May 07, 2010 11:11 am

I couldn't find a good pic and description on Rapala's web site, but here is one on ebay so you can see it. You can find them practically everywhere from Bass Pro to Walmart. Thanks for the link to the "fishing Babe's" blog, it looks great. Good luck and I will order the Canadian spoons and make a few myself. It's pretty hard to find orange lures to my suprise and I think I will be modifying a bunch of mine this weekend for the trip at the end of the month. I'll let you know how I did after Memorial day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Fri May 07, 2010 7:58 pm

So stopped by the log cabins this morning before 7am and found the xr -10's. They didn't have the perch color, so I got the shiner color. The guy at the desk explained he loves this lure and told me to fish it with three short jerks and a pause. Then one jerk and a pause etc. I tried, I really did, but didn't catch any. My uncle caught two with the hammer and I caught one with the hammer before he caught another 5 with a mepps #2. He also caught 4 large mouth with the mepps #2. I love that lure as well, even as small as it is. So throughout the day I tried and tried your lure. No luck. I love the lucks of it and the concept of jerking and pausing a suspending lure, but no luck. I reeled it regular into the boat once and had a pike follow it to the boat before ducking away. I will keep trying. I asked log cabins to order in the perch color. Hope they do, otherwise I will check chapmans next visit. Please explain how exactly to fish this lure?

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sat May 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Just stopped at chapman's and bought the perch color. I also reread your last few posts where you say slow retrieve. Does it also work with jerks?

JR

Post by JR » Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 am

Just so you know, I have had next to no luck with the other colors. I will try a variety of other lures before I use any other but the perch color. I probably 8 different colors and have caught maybe one on each where I've caught hundreds of pike on the perch color.

As far a the the retrieve, I have tried all the different techniques for it but have by far my best luck with a steady retrieve. Not slow, not racing, but a steady retrieve. Slow gives the fish to much time to look at the lure. I think they hit as much on reaction as on hunger. Try the whole mid range of speed and even towards a little faster and I think you will see a huge difference.

I placed the order for the orange hammered spoons and hopefully they make it in before we leave on May 22. I will let you know how I do.

Pochucker

Post by Pochucker » Mon May 10, 2010 1:20 pm

JR , Im with you on the XRs. Havent fished BL yet but they are my favorite lure on L. Nipissing in ONT for pike. And I agree steady retrieve seems to work best for Pike while jerk pause seems better for bass. As far as colors anything that had red/green/ or orange in it did well.