Located on Route 37, just north of the village of Hammond, New York

Opened in the fall of 1998, the Hammond Historical Museum, sponsored by the R.T. Elethorp Historical Society, was constructed by mainly volunteer labor from the Hammond area. The 2000 square foot structure, faced with native pink sandstone, is imbedded with a War of 1812 cannon ball found on the shore of the Saint Lawrence River.

The focal point of the museum's collection is an exhibit of large wooden models of local buildings crafted in the early 1900's by former life-long Hammond resident, Rob T. Elethorp. The museum is proud to display these excellent replicas of two churches, a barn, and a farm house, a milk plant, horses and wagons and a farmer's maple syrup operation.
Also featured is an elegant Victorian living room with pump organ and large piano. Nearby are displayed historic uniforms, Victorian dresses and a fifty year old wedding gown. Other exhibits include a showcase of old medical instruments as well as household and farm implements.

A comprehensive array of sepia and black and white photographs depict scenes of life in historic Hammond along with various early sports teams. Scenes of St. Lawrence River communities are reminiscent of Frederic Remington paintings.

Not to be missed, and of particular interest to area genealogists are varius photo albums and original writings of Hammond historian Valeria Bickelhaupt, whose discourses address community events, family histories, notes on the Hammond Fire Dept, Hammond schools, community, churches and other topics.

Bus tours are being arranged for old Hammond Schoolhouses and possibly visits to historical sites. It is hoped that a river boat tour can be arranged and various islands visited.

  • Reconstruction of a post and lintel barn, on the Museum grounds, has been completed except for finishing stonework for foundation and adding on some more sideboards.
  • Construction of a small stone house on the Museum site. The foundation has been dug and it is hoped that the majority fo the stone work will be completed by the end of the season.
Museum logo items such as hats, mugs, aprons, post cards, apothecary jars and note paper are now on sale.

Mid-May through September
Wednesdays 2 - 4 PM    Saturdays 10AM - 4 PM
or by appointment 315-324-5517

Free Admission

For Additional Information
Call 315-324-5517